Welcome to Tickled Tastebuds! This page will feature a variety of recipes that includes appetizers, desserts, and everything in between. You will probably find that, as time passes and we have built more of a substantial basis here, we have a bit of a sweet tooth that is always aching to be satisfied. Dessert is definitely my favorite part of most meals, and after seeing some of our recipes, it might be yours, too, if it isn't already! With three small children at home, all of whom seem to have very Picky Tastebuds, we strive to make the majority of our recipes family-friendly, as well. Thanks for visiting us-enjoy!







Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Strawberry Chocolate Scones

I am and probably always will be a romantic at heart. Many people may not initially think that upon meeting me, but deep down inside, I love the sweet, thoughtful gestures that can, in a sense, define the love and nature of a relationship between two people. Be they between lovers, friends, or family, gifts and gestures genuinely from the heart speak louder than words ever can.

Needless to say, I love Valentine's Day. I get all kinds of giddy inside as I start to plan how I will surprise all those who are near and dear to my heart. Chris's all-time favorite dessert is brownies... plain, simple, fudgy brownies. So, I planned to get up early Tuesday, make him a fresh batch of brownies after he left for work, and then deliver them to him on my way to work so he could have them to enjoy all to himself throughout the day. He beat me to it... He got a craving on Sunday night and decided to make his own. They were delicious, by the way, and I thoroughly enjoyed them!

Either way, that sent me back to the drawing board. I decided I would come up with something more breakfast-like to make fresh for him Tuesday morning to take to him at work. I had been wanting to try scones for some time, but for one reason or another, I had never got around to making them. I was excited to try something new, and I remembered seeing all kinds of amazing-sounding scone recipes on Annie's Eats during my food blog perusing. I took another peek and immediately knew that her Strawberry Yogurt Scones were the scones for me. I already had all of the ingredients, and it just so happens that strawberries are one of his favorite fruits.

I must say, I don't know why I had never tried making scones before, but I am SO glad I did. I really enjoyed the flavor, consistency, and ease of this recipe, and I look forward to experimenting more with my new-found breakfast food.

I did adapt this recipe ever so slightly, but all in all, the recipe is basically the same as what you find in the link above. I believe she mentions that her recipe originally came from Cooking Light, so that ought to clue you in, too, that these are a somewhat lighter recipe.

Strawberry Chocolate Scones 

- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup strawberry yogurt
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- cooking spray for pan
- more sugar for sprinkling on top

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine both flours, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine strawberries, yogurt, butter, orange peel, vanilla, and egg white. Mix into the dry ingredients, then add in chocolate chips. (This is some THICK dough- I just used my hands to knead everything together.)
3. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. If you have not already done so, knead the dough four times. Using your hands, pat into an 8" circle. Cut into 8 wedges and place onto baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle each wedge lightly with sugar, then bake 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.



Enjoy! These scones were so moist and flavorful- they were dense, yet still light and fluffy. The strawberry pieces and chocolate chips complimented each other perfectly without being overly sweet, and they added diverse elements to the overall texture. If you haven't ever given scones a try, I highly suggest that you do! I am pretty sure you will be seeing some more recipes coming from me in the future...

1 comment: