Welcome to Tickled Tastebuds! This page will feature a variety of recipes that includes appetizers, desserts, and everything in between. You will probably find that, as time passes and we have built more of a substantial basis here, we have a bit of a sweet tooth that is always aching to be satisfied. Dessert is definitely my favorite part of most meals, and after seeing some of our recipes, it might be yours, too, if it isn't already! With three small children at home, all of whom seem to have very Picky Tastebuds, we strive to make the majority of our recipes family-friendly, as well. Thanks for visiting us-enjoy!







Monday, October 31, 2011

"Melted Wicked Witch" Mint Cookies and Cream Gooey Cake Bars

I know I have been MIA for awhile now.... 25 days to be exact, and I do apologize deeply. This month has proven to be rather crazy, and I am sure you all can understand how life sometimes manages to get in the way of some of our obligations and activities! Hopefully, November will prove to yield more regular postings from me. And, since I am in the process of beginning to compile and organize recipes to start working on a cookbook, I often finding myself torn between what recipes I share and what recipes I keep all to myself, saving them for some far-off, magical date when they can appear on the pages of a cookbook I can call all my own... someday....

In the meantime, I want to share with you a fabulous Halloween recipe perfect for last minute celebrations on this perfectly spooky day. When I picked Brooklyn up from daycare last Friday, I noticed that they had a sign-up sheet posted for individuals wanting to volunteer to bring some sort of treat for the cake walk they were having as part of their Halloween party that evening. Luckily, I had taken off early that day to spend some extra time with my father while he was in town, so I went ahead and signed up and started brainstorming what I could take that I could whip up in just a couple hours, still allowing for time to cool and set up properly. I recalled seeing several recipes of late where the food bloggers used a cake mix from a box to form the base layer of a cookie bar recipe of sorts and decided to go with that. As I was in the kitchen, the rest of the recipe just sort of fell into place and the end result was not only delicious, but fun in a special Halloween sort of way.


Here is what you will need to make "Melted Wicked Witch" Mint Cookies and Cream Gooey Cake Bars:

- 1 box chocolate or devil's food cake mix
- 1 stick of butter, softened to room temperature (or thrown in the microwave if you're running short on time like I was)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Andes Mint baking pieces
- 16 Mint Oreo Cookies, crushed and broken into small pieces
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Green food coloring

1. Line a 9x13" cake pan with aluminum foil, leaving excess foil at each end to create handles. Generously spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the cake mix, the butter, and the egg until well-combined. I used my hands and it worked way better than the spoon I initially started the process with. You will get a Play-Doh result when the ingredients are sufficiently combined. Press this mixture evenly into the bottom of your prepared pan.
3. Next, sprinkle the Andes Mint baking pieces onto the crust layer, followed by the Mint Oreo cookies. Top with the chocolate chips.
4. Add a few drops of green food coloring to your can of sweetened condensed milk and mix well. Pour the now-green sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top of all.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes, until cooked through. Cool to room temperature and cut into 16 bars. Store covered in an airtight container. ENJOY this spook-tacular treat- we sure did!

Layers of chocolatey-minty-cookies and cream goodness... To die for! 

Happy Halloween! Here is a picture of Miss Brooklyn in her kitty cat costume, which, oddly enough, she was terrified of until she realized it was her golden ticket to free candy. Now, even though she won't smile in most of the pics we take, she at least doesn't scream bloody murder when we try to put it on her... Thank goodness!


And yes... it's cold here. For those of you not from Wyoming, we select our Halloween costumes based on how many warm layers we can fit comfortably underneath. It was about 35 degrees on Saturday when we were downtown trick-or-treating. But, in spite of the chilly temps, fun was had by all! Round 2 starts tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment