If you know me, you know that Oreos are one of my favorite store-bought treats. They take me to a simpler time, spending many a childhood afternoon dipping these cream-filled chocolate cookies into small cups of milk, timing it just perfectly so that the cookie was removed from the milk mere seconds before breaking off completely, only to be lost in a sea of speckled white. Ahhh, the good old days....
My grandma got me hooked on these bad boys, and I enjoy giving them to our kids every so often as a bedtime snack (usually one I partake in, too!). For the most part, Double Stuf are my go-to variation, but I also have really come to enjoy the Mint Oreos, as well. I have several recipes already posted that utilize Oreos in some form or another, so feel free to browse through those, too, to find your perfect way to celebrate your love for Oreos. By the way, if you don't love Oreos, just stop reading now. This one is probably not for you!
I had heard about the Birthday Cake Oreos, but had yet to try them until yesterday. They really are a party in your mouth! I had a hard time reserving enough of them to actually use in the recipe, but after hastily chopping them up, it was much easier to resist.
I saw a recipe similar to this one on Culinary Concoctions by Peabody. She is always coming up with innovative and sinful treats; you definitely need to check out her blog if you haven't already. Her version inspired mine, which I will now tell you about!
Birthday Cake Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 18 oz. miniature marshmallows
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Rainbow Chip cake mix
- 8 cups Rice Krispies
- 16 Birthday Cake Oreos, finely chopped
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup Rainbow Chip Frosting
- 3-4 Birthday Cake Oreos, crushed
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
1. Spray a 9x13" pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, melt butter. Stir in 18 oz. marshmallows, vanilla, and Rainbow Chip Cake Mix, mixing well until smooth and creamy. Stir in the Rice Krispies and the chopped Birthday Cake Oreos until well-combined. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan, using wax paper if necessary to evenly press the Rice Krispie treats into the bottom of the pan.
3. Place white chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 20 second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. Immediately stir in Rainbow Chip frosting, crushed cookies, and remaining marshmallows. "Spread" over the top of the Rice Krispie treats.
4. Let set for 30 minutes or until topping is set. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
These bars are seriously Ah-Mazing.... They combine so many of my favorite childhood treats into one, deliciously fantastic dessert. One of the things I love the most about these Birthday Cake Oreo Rice Krispie Treats is the fact that, even though all of the ingredients come together to create an incredible, cohesive dish, the integrity of each individual component remains largely intact, and you can truly enjoy each ingredient for what it brings to the overall flavor palate. And, to make them even better, they are beyond soft with just a perfect amount of gooey-ness to allow for enjoyment with mess!
The classic Rice Krispie Treat, the Birthday Cake Oreo, and the Rainbow Chip birthday cake are all in attendance at this party, and you truly don't want to miss out! I definitely recommend that you make these SOON! Especially if you love Oreos. Celebrate their accomplishment and appreciate some stability in an ever-changing world- spread some cookie love!
Layer upon layer of birthday treat perfection... I am so making these for Brooklyn's birthday party at daycare this month!