Welcome to Tickled Tastebuds! This page will feature a variety of recipes that includes appetizers, desserts, and everything in between. You will probably find that, as time passes and we have built more of a substantial basis here, we have a bit of a sweet tooth that is always aching to be satisfied. Dessert is definitely my favorite part of most meals, and after seeing some of our recipes, it might be yours, too, if it isn't already! With three small children at home, all of whom seem to have very Picky Tastebuds, we strive to make the majority of our recipes family-friendly, as well. Thanks for visiting us-enjoy!







Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer Chicken Salad

Summer is slowly starting to wind down and we are on the brink of autumn. With it's cooler temperatures, fun-filled holidays, football, and beautiful landscapes painted by changing leaves, fall is one of my favorite times of the year. I also love fall because it practically necessitates the use of such delectable flavors as pumpkin, maple, apple, etc., and also, with the cooler temperatures comes chili, soups, and stews, some of my favorite dinners. So basically, fall means fabulous, hearty, comfort food and an excuse to always be baking.

Some people might find it strange, but I am a very "seasonal" person. There are certain colors, foods, and scents, just to name a few, that are more appealing to me during certain times of the year. So, as already mentioned, since autumn is just around the corner, I figured I had better enjoy another round of one of my new found summer enjoyments, as I am quite positive I will not be craving it anytime soon with colder weather approaching...

I had never really tried chicken salad before, but for some reason, I had a ton of leftover grilled chicken a few months ago and decided to give it a whirl. I just kind of dove in, head-first with fingers crossed, and hoped for the best. I was really impressed with the end result. The flavors work so well together and practically scream spring and summer. This chicken salad is sweet and savory, creamy and crunchy, and just all-around perfectly balanced. Plus, it is light, yet filling and satisfying. And, it is full of healthy ingredients, too!

We had a crazy busy weekend because we had a yard sale, so I don't have pictures for this recipe yet. But we are grilling a lot of chicken tonight, and, naturally, I will be using the leftovers to make some Summer Chicken Salad. In the meantime, here is the recipe!

Summer Chicken Salad 

- 2 chicken breasts (I used grilled, but any cooked chicken would work fine, I am sure), cut into small cubes
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 apple, cored and roughly chopped (up to you if you want to keep the skin on or peel it- I like the extra crunch the skin adds, plus all the nutritious goodness that comes with it!), sprinkled with lemon juice to help preservation and prevent browning
- 1/4 cup pomegranate-flavored Craisins (or whatever flavor you have on hand will work, too)
- 1/4 chopped pecans
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Miracle Whip (I pretty much refuse to use mayo... just sayin'), depending on how creamy you want it
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp. honey

1. In a Tupperware container with a lid, toss together the chicken, celery, apple, Craisins, and pecans.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the Miracle Whip, mustard, and honey until well-combined.
3. Pour the Miracle Whip mixture over the chicken mixture, using a spatula to make sure you get every last bit of it, then mix well until all of the chicken mixture is coated.  For best results, refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Keep leftovers refrigerated in Tupperware container. ENJOY!


I love to use this Summer Chicken Salad on sandwiches, layered in between two pieces of a nice, whole-grain bread, but it would be delicious set atop a bed of spinach or other leafy greens, or even by itself. It really is SO delicious!!!

Do you have any foods that you only tend to crave during certain times of the year??? I would love to hear more from others who share in my seasonal tendencies! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment