Welcome to Tickled Tastebuds! This page will feature a variety of recipes that includes appetizers, desserts, and everything in between. You will probably find that, as time passes and we have built more of a substantial basis here, we have a bit of a sweet tooth that is always aching to be satisfied. Dessert is definitely my favorite part of most meals, and after seeing some of our recipes, it might be yours, too, if it isn't already! With three small children at home, all of whom seem to have very Picky Tastebuds, we strive to make the majority of our recipes family-friendly, as well. Thanks for visiting us-enjoy!







Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Grams' Sugar Cookies

Sugar Cookies are one of my favorite go-to treats for pretty much any holiday. They are fun, delicious, and can be so darn cute when you spend a little extra time with the frosting and sprinkles. One of my favorite childhood memories is helping my grandma bake sugar cookies (okay, well really bake ANYTHING), and then helping frost and decorate them, too. We did these mostly for Christmas, but she was also known to make them for Halloween and Valentine's Day on occasion, too. She was, by her very essence, the quintessential embodiment of everything that a grandma should be: warm, loving, full of good advice and wisdom, and ALWAYS baking or cooking something delicious for her family whom she adored. Between her, my fantastic mother, and my wonderful aunt, I had some of the most amazing women role models to look up to as I was growing up, and still to this day, they are pretty much everything I aspire to be as a mom and wifey now, a grandma someday, and an all-around good human being every other day of my life. So here is a little thank you to them! My grandma, my mom, and my aunt will always be three of my special valentines.

Grams' sugar cookies are practically famous. Anyone who has ever had them fell in love with them instantly, including me! I have made them quite a few times for coworkers and friends, as well as for holiday celebrations, and everyone always graciously and excitedly devours them. They are really just a very basic sugar cookie, but I think that my grams' addition of grated orange peel is what sets her cookies above the rest.

It may seem like sugar cookies are too much of a process- too much time and hassle to make the dough, roll it out, cut the shapes out, re-roll the dough, and so on, only to spend another good hour or two decorating the baked cookies, but in my opinion, it is totally worth every extra ounce of effort it requires. I mean, seriously, who doesn't love getting a sweetly decorated sugar cookie, knowing that the person who gave it to you spent that extra time making something special just for you? For me, at least, it really is "the thought that counts." I would rather get a homemade gift of any sort any day over something fancy and store-bought that I may never use. Gifts from the heart, people, that's where the love is at!

So here, make THIS recipe for someone special next week, and rest assured that they will be pleasantly satisfied with your homemade and delicious gift to them!

Can you tell these get used A LOT?!?!


Grams' Sugar Cookies

- 2/3 cup shortening (I like butter-flavored Crisco)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel (this can be fresh or from the spice section at the grocery store)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. milk

In my grandma's words: "Cream shortening & sugar. Add egg, beat until light & fluffy. Add vanilla, grated orange peel; mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture together w/milk. Roll dough 1/8" thick. Cut; put on greased cookie sheet; Bake in moderate oven (375) 12 min."

(She was so good at keeping it short and sweet! Maybe I have something to learn from her there....)

After the cookies are COMPLETELY cool, make the following icing recipe to frost the cookies.

Grams' Icing

- 2 cups powdered sugar
- dash salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- Milk

Mix together powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, and melted butter, then add milk till you reach the desired consistency.

I, personally, like to lean more on the side of a thick frosting so it doesn't completely drip/run off the cookie once you start frosting it. Trust your instincts - you will know when it's right! And if you end up adding a little too much milk and it's too runny, just add in some more powdered sugar. This is pretty much a no-fail icing recipe.

Decorate the cookies to your liking! Sprinkles, candies, whatever floats your boat! Let the kids help, too. They will have a blast, even it means a little bit more extra clean-up time for you. :) Trust me when I say they will appreciate these kinds of things, now and much later down the road.

Simple. Perfection. Share some love... 

No comments:

Post a Comment